Thursday, May 17, 2012

separate from the world


Wrestler

The referee comes to the center of the mat
And makes us shake hands.
No longer does anything else matter to me
But waiting for the sound of the whistle,
And the advance of my opponent.
I have trained hard and had my teammates behind me
But at this moment I am alone.
Alone knowing that the outcome is only up to me.
Nothing anyone else can say or do will matter.
The rest of the world goes quiet as I anticipate his move.
Out of the corner of my eye I see blurred images.
But I cannot make anything out
I know my coach is yelling to me,
but no sounds reach my ears.
Alone in this battle until the end.
I feel something slap my back
The match is over and at once,
My hearing and vision seem to return.

1 comment:

  1. Kevin,

    I like that we don't know the outcome here, but other than that I'm wondering where the drama is.

    What's at stake in this poem? Can you give us some more sense-based images? Put us in this place.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete